Treat the Root Cause of Sleep Apnea
CPAP therapy is an effective, albeit uncomfortable, way to address the symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), but many patients find their machine to be inconvenient and uncomfortable. Plus, a CPAP cannot provide a permanent solution to sleep-disordered breathing. Fortunately, alternative treatments are available. The best one is the innovative Vivos system. This remarkable protocol, non- surgically, addresses the anatomical abnormalities that cause OSA. Dr. Trivedi is proud to be one of Austin’s first Vivos- trained Dentist.
Your Jaw and Sleep Apnea
One common culprit behind OSA is the failure of the jaw to develop properly. Maxillary hypoplasia is a term that refers to the underdevelopment of the upper jaw. Mandibular retrognathia defines a lower jaw that is set too far back. Both conditions can result in a compromised upper airway and lead to the repeated pauses in breathing that define obstructive sleep apnea.
How Vivos Works
Vivos is a nonsurgical method for correcting maxillary hypoplasia and mandibular retrognathia. Both of which impinge on your airway, thereby obstructing it. It uses a “daytime-nighttime appliance” (DNA) system to apply gentle pressure to your palate, gradually expanding its length and width to correct maxillary hypoplasia. It may also involve the use of a “mandibular repositioning-nighttime appliance” (mRNA), the purpose of which is to train the lower jaw to rest in its proper, non-obstructive, position.
Together, the DNA and mRNA permanently reposition the jawbones so that it no longer impinges on your airway.
The Treatment Process
If you would like to take advantage of the revolutionary Vivos system, your journey will begin at our office with an in-depth medical-dentofacial consultation and diagnostic tests. These tests may include a home sleep study, a CBCT scan, a head and neck examination, and more. The data collected from this appointment will let us know whether the Vivos system would be right for you.
On average, Vivos treatment lasts for 12 – 24 months. You’ll visit Dr. Trivedi periodically throughout that period so he can adjust your appliances and monitor your progress.
Benefits of Vivos
The Vivos system offers numerous benefits, including:
- The appliances are comfortable and nearly invisible
- The Vivos system is non-surgical and non-pharmaceutical, which means it is an extremely low-risk treatment
- You may begin to notice positive results within the first few days or weeks of treatment
- Most patients’ faces change for the better: such as more defined cheekbones, reduced or eliminated “double chin”, less dark eye circles, and enhanced facial symmetry.
- Vivos permanently addresses one of the main causes of OSA
- After completing the Vivos protocol, many patients no longer require any type of OSA treatment.